What on earth is RanDrum? Well, glad you asked!
The basic idea is that since SampleSort knows which samples are drum samples and also knows what kind of drum sample is in a particular file, it can attempt to help you build a random drum kit from your samples.
Think of it as a kind of “Randomise” button that some synthesisers have. They set all the various patch parameters to random values. This simple tool can often lead to moments of inspiration.
RanDrum can bring this this to your drum kits! In Native Instruments Battery format or it can simply export all the individual sample files to a specified location for manually loading into your favourite drum plugin or DAW.
Once you have built the database you can navigate to the RanDrum page and configure what you want SampleSort to do.
Firstly, make sure you have completed a scan – see Getting Started.
- Firstly, hit the “Load Drums” button to load all the found drum samples.
- On the left hand side are details about the drum samples in the database.
- There is also a rocker switch (+/-) to tell SampleSort how many of a particular sample type you want.
- Once you have set these click the drum icon on the right.
- SampleSort will randomly select samples and place them on the drum pads on the right of the screen.
- You can then audition the samples by clicking on the drum pads.
- If you like a particular sound you can “Ear-mark” it using the pad check-box.
- When you click the drum icon button a second time SampleSort will keep the samples you have “Ear-Marked”
- Hit the Drum button button again.
- SampleSort then randomly select another batch of samples but keeps the ones you have selected
- You can keep performing this until you have built the kit you want
- Export to Native Instruments Battery Kit or just collect the samples together in a single location on disk
- If you want to start over completely, reset everything by clicking the + drum icon.
Export to Native Instruments Battery
- Build your kit as described in the work flow above
- Make sure Native Instruments Battery is selected in the drop down menu
- Give your drum kit a name
- Click the Disk Icon to export your Native Instruments Battery format kit